This is a delicious salad that also has enough protein and warmth for the cool spring days!
For the salad:
- 4 skinless chicken breast
- 12 strips of smoked bacon
- 2 fresh avocados
- fresh spinach leaves
- enough parmesan for shavings
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 small clove of garlic
- freshly ground pepper
- pinch of salt
And this is how it’s done:
- Slice the chicken breast into small, thin slices.
- Add a little oil to a pan and fry the chicken breast pieces on a medium high heat until well browned. Set aside. Preheat your grill (oven) to a high heat which means the bacon will get really crispy.
- Next, using a pair of scissors, make small cuts in the rind side of the bacon. This will ensure that it doesn’t “curl up” when under the grill.
- Put the bacon under the grill and – turning once – fry until crispy.
- Divide the leaves onto four plates.
- Keep an eye on the bacon and remove from oven when crispy. Set aside
- Cut open the avocados by halving them, then cut into quarters and peel.
- Thinly slice each avocado quarter and arrange on the plates (half an avocado per person).
- To make the vinaigrette, put all the ingredients into a clean jam jar, adding the garlic by putting it through a garlic press. Shake vigorously until all ingredients are combined.
- Now add three bacon strips to each plate and divide the fried chicken strips on top.
- Top with fresh shavings of parmesan.
- Drizzle the dressing on top.